Thursday, April 2, 2009

the jam and the cycle... and I

Even though I started late yesterday morning, I didn’t really encounter much traffic throughout my usual office route. So I started from home like yesterday. Cruising around the roads overtaking other cyclists, since they were the only ones who could be overtaken. I thought that since it’s a Thursday, maybe it’s a holiday for a lot of people. The roads were practically deserted till I came to Kothrud bus depo. Even before I could turn and join Paud road, I could see the long line of cars, buses and two wheelers. The cherry on the cake for me was the mental satisfaction of being able to ride at the edge of the road… or part of the road that’s not the road, and at times, even getting off the bike and walking along the pedestrian ways!

In just a matter of minutes, I had crossed the jam, and riding uphill to Chandani Chowk… Being the first one to arrive at office, body and mind intact, pretty smug and satisfied, I had a fantastic time listening to my colleague’s cribbing about the jam. I get a kick every time I overtake a stationary motorized vehicle… and I’m the happiest person on mars looking at the absolutely bored and tired expressions of others stuck in it.

As I leave the jam behind me, and see other motorists eye to eye, I get a kick anticipating the change in their expression as they realize what lies in store for them.

Poor souls...

And with the downhill cruise from Chandni Chowk to Bavdhan… I wish for the world to be a calmer and more peaceful place...

3 comments:

  1. Good blog! In Glasgow i enjoy being at pedestrian crossings/ traffic lights (we have a lot of cross roads here) and getting to decide whether i'm a pedestrian or a vehicle to suit the green lights. In pondy i preferred cycling to walking as the air movement kept me cool. Good luck!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long Live The Revolution!

    Long Live Che n DR !!

    Ride On !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Pondycherry, its a punishment walking in the sun!!! Auroville was a bit better... ;)

    Che's long dead Nandu uncle...
    And this is not just one revolution... its many!

    ReplyDelete